CCN future, direction, objectives

Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 22:12:12 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <au141@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Mark Ronald Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Peter Morgan <ae112@chebucto.ns.ca>, ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-comm@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Mark Ronald Rushton wrote:

> > >Phoenix WWW-based email service, looking for the rationale, the
> >
> > I guess I'd be leary of getting too frustrated by no reply. I suspect
>
> Actually, I'm more interested in the transparency of operation /
> communication.  Guess this falls under the Comms. Cttee (_so_ nice to have
> a chair in place - have I said "Welcome, Sue!" yet?
>    More to the point - as someone involved at the IP Cttee level, I was
> surprised to learn about the Phoenix project, by a stray email that landed
> in my inbox.  Is there a process in place for informing the CCN community
> about upcoming initiatives like this?

	The story on the web based mail is that Michael Smith and I are
still working on the interface when we have the time so it is still 'in
the works' for the moment so no official announcement was made. It was not
a case of the left hand not talking to the right in this instance although
that is a serious problem with CCN. My observation on that issue though is
that the situation is starting to turn around.

	Right now, the Beacon news page is the first place to look for new
developments in lieu of anything else though I would be happy to work with
anyone wanting to develop a different system.

<snip>
> ...I don't need to have my nose in everything, but at least two of the
> above links do not provide curious users with any useful information at
> all.  Whooops, sorry Sue - looks like I'm generating a bunch of work for
> us.

	This was my observation at the beginning of this latest slew of
email. At least there is now a news page more recent than 1997.

> ...and, yes, I plan to be involved with the Comms cttee as much as
> possible.  However -- Having been a part of the Comms cttee when Joan
> Waldron was the chair, I remember one frustration being that we were often
> out of the loop on developments at CCN.  Hopefully the new, revitalized
> Comms Cttee won't face the same difficulties.

	As a member of the new comm committee, I can assure that the
committee is not out of the loop WRT to new developments. It is however
overdue for another meeting.

					Andrew
  Editor, CCN Beacon         "The future is already here - it's just
  CCN Userhelp Volunteer      not very well distributed yet."
        <*>                                         - William Gibson
  My Eclectic Resources: http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~au141/Profile.html