[NatureNS] Birds Today

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:17:29 +0000

I did dual duty today with my atlas square and Piping Plover Guardian duty
this evening.  At one location today there were two family units of
Lincoln's sparrows.  Each had two young, making a total of eight birds.  We
managed to catch an alder flycatcher carrying food, also, there was a
juvenile red-tailed hawk vocalizing, with an adult nearby.  It appeared as
though the adult might still be providing food for this juvenile.

A new lep for the year today was a wood nymph.  A new ode for the year was a
green darner.

At Cherry Hill Beach - I only had time to do guardian duty and thus did not
get out to the flats.  Predation has been high at Cherry Hill this year for
nests.  You'll likely see the report by Sue Abbott later, so I won't go into
details.  We do have four chicks which have fledged and as of this evening
four chicks 2-3 days old.  If you visit the beach be aware of and wary of
these chicks.

Other shorebirds this evening at Cherry Hill Beach - 4 willets, 5
semi-palmated sandpipers, three least sandpipers, and 24 sanderlings.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Tell us your tech love story in the Summer Lovin Competition for your chance
to win laptop loaded with Windows Vista, Office 2007 and Windows Live
OneCare.
http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/contests/summerlovin/default.aspx