[NatureNS] Birds Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:52:40 +0000

--_37edf325-1ad1-4b83-9efa-80f82e13a84e_

Dorothy Poole and I started out for the Nova Scotia Bird Society outing tod=
ay, we went as far as almost before New Germany before deciding to turn bac=
k and bird closer to home.  The reason is that the roads got progressively =
worse the further inland that we went and at the time of turning back were =
snow covered and full of salt and it was still snowing hard without any plo=
ws in sight.
=20
We birded Blockhouse, Lilydale, Lunenburg, Garden Lots, Second Peninsula, M=
aders Cove, Mahone Bay, Bridgewater, Crescent Beach and Broad Cove.  There =
were not a whole lot of species to report in these areas only totalling 33 =
species.  Of note more bald eagles then I've seen at one time in a long whi=
le.  Probably about seven or eight in different locations.  There seemed to=
 be more golden-crowned kinglets than I've seen in a while.  They were at a=
 number of locations and thus probably moving back through.  There was a br=
own creeper at Garden Lots.  At Second Peninsula we observed 35 red-breaste=
d merganser, 10 common mergansers, and 107 common goldeneyes.  Last year ar=
ound this time I had reported horned larks with one snow bunting.  A repeat=
 of this occurred again this year with 12 horned larks and one snow bunting=
 travelling with them.  There were two green-winged teal also at Second Pen=
insula with one male and one female.  The male was in wonderful breeding pl=
umage.  At Crescent Beach there were 16 dunlin.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Sympatico/MSN Autos wants to put YOU in a 2008 Eclipse! Click here to enter=
!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_37edf325-1ad1-4b83-9efa-80f82e13a84e_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Dorothy Poole and I started out for the Nova Scotia Bird Society outing tod=
ay, we went as far as almost before New Germany before deciding to turn bac=
k and bird closer to home.&nbsp; The reason is that the roads got progressi=
vely worse the further inland that we went and at the time of turning back =
were snow covered and full of salt and it was still snowing hard without an=
y plows in sight.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
We birded Blockhouse, Lilydale, Lunenburg, Garden Lots, Second Peninsula, M=
aders Cove, Mahone Bay, Bridgewater, Crescent Beach and Broad Cove.&nbsp; T=
here were not a whole lot of species to report in these areas only totallin=
g 33 species.&nbsp; Of note more bald eagles then I've seen at one time in =
a long while.&nbsp; Probably about seven or eight in different locations.&n=
bsp; There seemed to be more golden-crowned kinglets than I've seen in a wh=
ile.&nbsp; They were at a number of locations and thus probably moving back=
 through.&nbsp; There was a brown creeper at Garden Lots.&nbsp; At Second P=
eninsula we observed 35 red-breasted merganser, 10 common mergansers, and 1=
07 common goldeneyes.&nbsp; Last year around this time I had reported horne=
d larks with one snow bunting.&nbsp; A repeat of this occurred again this y=
ear with 12 horned larks and one snow bunting travelling with them.&nbsp; T=
here were two green-winged teal also at Second Peninsula with one male and =
one female.&nbsp; The male was in wonderful breeding plumage.&nbsp; At Cres=
cent Beach there were 16 dunlin.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />You could win a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse from Sy=
mpatico / MSN Autos.  <a href=3D'http://g.msn.ca/ca55/210' target=3D'_new'>=
Hunt for the Total Eclipse NOW!</a></body>

--_37edf325-1ad1-4b83-9efa-80f82e13a84e_--