[NatureNS] Birds Today

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 18:29:02 +0000

I am just back from a wonderful South Shore Naturalists Club outing to a
mostly hemlock softwood stand that is being selectively managed and contains
trees from 80 to 200 years old.  This stand is off route 8 and a few miles
outside of Milton.  Of course many other species of softwood trees were also
there in the same age bracket.  A young lady from the Mersey Tobeatic
Research Centre was our guide along with the woodlot owner.  Lots of
wonderful holes in trees for owls, woodpeckers and other species to nest.
Of interest on this walk were about at least eight brown creepers vocalizing
on territory, there also was a pileated woodpecker and my first winter wren
for the year vocalizing.

Other birds of note, an American tree swallow at Broad Cove on the wires and
two at Milton along the river.

In front of my place at Dublin Shore this morning was one of the largest
concentrations of long-tailed ducks I have seen thus far in the year.  There
were 120 birds.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

RealLiveMoms: Share your experience with Real Live Moms just like you
http://www.reallivemoms.ca/