[NatureNS] re gaspereau and ospreys, was Barrington River

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:36:04 -0300

I went back again Sunday afternoon and saw an osprey with a fish, and today
I noticed there were a number of men dip- netting.
Gaspereau is the French name for the fish, Kiack is the Indian name I
believe. I am not certain that Gaspereau is the best name to use - I believe
there are two kinds of fish included in the school of fish - the English
Alewives and  a type of herring.  The natives in this area have always used
the name "Kiack", and I believe that is also true of the people in the
Yarmouth area.

Roland.