[NatureNS] Middleton Swift show underway

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:34:01 -0300

I arrived at the Middleton High School chimney at 8:25, which may have been
a little late. A single Chimney Swift was already chattering about the
chimney, but flew off after a minute or so. It was cool with a light breeze
and no clouds. Lots of insects were present for the first time.
8 swifts paid a vocal visit at 8:30 and there were about 30 in the circuit
by 8:48.
At 8:50 there was a sudden dash and 15 swifts dived into the chimney within
20 seconds. A short break and then 31 more rushed in within about another 25
seconds. A small group of 8 and then 2 more - by 8:52 they were just about
all in.
3 laggards showed up at 8:55 and dived in after only 2 circuits - at the
same time the automated parking lights came on. I presume they are on a
solar cell timer.
I left at 9:00 pm
59 swifts seen to roost in the chimney.
Things are definitely getting interesting,

John Belbin - Kingston