David Suzuki in Halifax - Endangered Species talk

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:07:58 -0300 (ADT)
From: Owen Hertzman <hertzman@atm.dal.ca>
To: Colin Stewart <cstewart@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca, Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

I'd like to respond to the announcement below, not from my own point of
view, but from that of students and others who are interested in this
topic.

It seems very silly to me to bring someone like David Suzuki here to build
up support for these issues and have him talk at an event which is
completely beyond the reach of most Nova Scotians, let alone students and
young activists.

May I suggest to the organizers that they consider asking David Suzuki if
he would be prepared to do an event at one of the campuses (perhaps at
noon) to try to raise the profile of these issues among environmentally
concerned students etc.

On a personal note, as a part-time instructor in Environmental Studies and
Marine Management I wish you luck with the event but at $45 a pop I can't
afford to go either.

Owen Hertzman                     E-mail: Owen.Hertzman@Dal.Ca
Dept. of Oceanography             Phone: (902) 494-3683
Dalhousie University              FAX:  (902) 494-2885
Halifax, NS CANADA, B3H 4J1