[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:15:15 -0300

It has been an interesting week here if somewhat slow. Lots of fledglings up
and going: Starlings, Robins, Common Grackles, sparrows, (mostly song but
perhaps some white throats)
There has been no sign or sound from the Orioles that I recognized although
there was definitely a nest or two built. The Barn swallows (down to 1 pair
unfortunately) down the road are still flying and our resident tree swallows
are busily feeding a developing brood. I am not sure how many baby birds are
there but these parents seem so much more ready to raise them both in the
feeding as well as the protecting of their young. I watched as momma minded
the portal and the male bird went straight up and made contact with a crow's
belly! Quite fierce.
There are a number of hummingbirds about. More females than males. There
have been some wild battles with the males both in the air as well as on the
lawn and the gravel. I am not sure what is happening now. We have two males
claiming the grapevine, one from above and one from below. Each watches the
other very closely but yesterday they were sitting side by side......a
truce maybe?
Today there are waxwings in the trees behind the house. I think I counted
nine. Strange number for them. They have been here a few days on and off. It
took me awhile to recognize their buzzing.
There are remarkably few crows right now and no sign of the ravens at all.
Red-winged blackbird is doing amazing maneuvers when ever a grackle flies
near, which is often as we have 5 grackle families on this property and I
think they may be doing a second nesting. certainly the robins seem to be
doing so.
The Northern Flicker(s)  is/are still occasionally advertising the swallow
house Steve put on the flag pole but nothing seems to be happening so they
are now trying to dig up our concrete platform and doing a remarkably good
( :?(  ) of it. As fast as I fill the cracks they come back and open them
wider. Now even pebbles are being dug out. Beautiful birds though.
I guess that is it.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca