[NatureNS] Showy Lady's Slipper Orchid and Irises

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:46:11 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_B6iLg973XHAAkCiC6bNTHQ)

Laura and I enjoyed our obligatory Sunday picnic at Smiley's Provincial Park today.  My agenda compelled me to check the orchids a bit earlier this year.  As expected the Showy Lady's Slipper Orchid is ahead of schedule with about 50% of the flowers in bloom, albeit not to full size as yet.

On route to and from the park we found White Irises and Yellow Irises in the road side ditches.  These were the first White Irises we've seen in Nova Scotia.

The birds in Smiley's Provincial Park were singing quite briskly between 1PM and 2PM during our visit.  It is my experience that while bird song diminishes with many species during nesting it resumes again when the young fledge.

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_B6iLg973XHAAkCiC6bNTHQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Laura and I enjoyed our obligatory Sunday picnic at
Smiley's Provincial Park today.&nbsp; My agenda compelled me to check the
orchids a bit earlier this year.&nbsp; As expected the <STRONG>Showy Lady's
Slipper Orchid</STRONG> is ahead of schedule with about 50% of the flowers in
bloom, albeit not to full size as yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On route to and from the park we found
<STRONG>White Irises</STRONG> and <STRONG>Yellow Irises</STRONG> in the road
side ditches.&nbsp; These were the first <STRONG>White Irises</STRONG> we've
seen in Nova Scotia.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The birds in Smiley's Provincial Park were singing
quite briskly between 1PM and 2PM during our visit.&nbsp; It is my experience
that while bird song diminishes with many species during nesting it resumes
again when the young fledge.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_B6iLg973XHAAkCiC6bNTHQ)--