[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:16:12 -0300

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "&gt;Hi all,&lt;div&gt;&

--Boundary_(ID_+XP1LAqx5FaSAtuRwtY0qw)

The aerial contests Tree Swallows have over feathers are indeed really neat to watch. An undergrad at Cornell did a really nice study of the behaviour, available here. Previous work had shown that nests with more feathers do better, probably mainly because they keep the eggs and nestlings warmer. Feathers are hard to come by (albeit not for the swallows in the valley near all those poultry farms), so competition for them can be intense.

Wonderful!! Thanks Andrew. I should print that off and put it in my bird book.

 The male arrived one day after the swallows had come back (after choosing the nest house, they leave for about a week, I think). He had a couple big white cup shaped feathers and tried to put them on the top of the flag pole. The woodpeckers have pounded it to irregular shapes. It came up windy and he had a dickens of a time and eventually lost them. I saw them on the grass. I assume the same bird was also placing grasses up there and holding them. Maybe he was stockpiling nesting supplies?  He dropped those as well and I did see her picking them up. I never did find the feathers so it will be interesting to see what we find in the house once they leave. I hope this nest has success. There are babies in there now as momma is doing a lot of flying in and out.....he is too.
We put up a second house on the top of the flag pole facing away from the first thinking maybe the first was not acceptable any more although it seemed sound and cleaned. The first house is occupied, not the second.
http://MargMillard.ca

--Boundary_(ID_+XP1LAqx5FaSAtuRwtY0qw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>
<DIV>The aerial contests Tree Swallows have over feathers are indeed really neat
to watch. An undergrad at Cornell did a really nice study of the behaviour,
available&nbsp;<A
href="http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/handle/1813/7857">here</A>. Previous
work had shown that nests with more feathers do better, probably mainly because
they keep the eggs and nestlings warmer. Feathers are hard to come by (albeit
not for the swallows in the valley near all those poultry farms), so competition
for them can be intense.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>..........................</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Wonderful!! Thanks Andrew. I should print that off and put it in my bird
book.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;The male arrived one day after the swallows had come back (after
choosing the nest house, they leave for about a week, I think). He had a couple
big white cup shaped feathers and tried to put them on the top of the flag pole.
The woodpeckers have pounded it to irregular shapes. It came up windy and he had
a dickens of a time and eventually lost them. I saw them on the grass. I assume
the same bird was also placing grasses up there and holding them. Maybe he was
stockpiling nesting supplies? &nbsp;He dropped those as well and I did see her
picking them up. I never did find the feathers so it will be interesting to see
what we find in the house once they leave. I hope this nest has success. There
are babies in there now as momma is doing a lot of flying in and out.....he is
too. </DIV>
<DIV>We put up a second house on the top of the flag pole facing away from the
first thinking maybe the first was not acceptable any more although it seemed
sound and cleaned. The first house is occupied, not the second.
</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://MargMillard.ca">http://MargMillard.ca</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_+XP1LAqx5FaSAtuRwtY0qw)--