[NatureNS] Concern re: Palmeter Woods

From: Robert Stevens <rocks@xcountry.tv>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 09:54:27 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  personal con

--Apple-Mail-1-477723769

Dear All,

I don't think it's a "legal activity" to allow even a small amount of =
oil to leak from ?construction equipment into a stream with a turtle =
population but this seems to have happened at Parmeter Wood sometime =
during the last few days.

It may well be perfectly legal to damage and probably kill oaks that are =
certainly older than Canada and probably older than the Province of Nova =
Scotia all for the sake of a few loads of sand, a common deposit in this =
part of Nova Scotia, but I can well understand the owners' wishes to =
remain anonymous.

It is also difficult to see how sand could be trucked out without =
crossing a public footpath or disturbing the residents of an adjacent =
special care facility.

Whilst looking around the woods yesterday, I met a fellow lister almost =
in a state of shock a what could happen to what he described as his =
"favourite place".

Lets hope a solution can be found but, like others, I have no idea how =
to start this process.

By chance,The Blomidon Naturalist Society is organizing a walk through =
the woods on Saturday June 5th meeting at the  parking lot of the =
Evergreen Home, 655 Park Street at 8am.

The walk will provide a chance for interested people to see what is at =
stake.

Bob Stevens

On 2010-05-26, at 6:16 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

> Hi Richard,                May 26, 2010
>     The owner or owners of this woodland area have kindly allowed the =
public to go there for many years and it would be expected, in return, =
that the public should not interfere with legal activity by the =
landowner. [I don't btw know any of the landowners, other than by =
possible Surname].
> =20
>     The best way to save this land for public enjoyment would be to =
negotiate purchase with the owner and. of course, pay as much as he/she =
could expect to earn by mining it.
> =20
>     The best way to protect such landscape in general would be to =
diminish the huge demand for sand and gravel most of which is for =
frivolous purposes.
> =20
> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
W.Kentville known unofficially as Palmeter Woods. It lies in what used =
(?) to be the Kentville Federal Migratory Bird Sanctuary. There are a =
number of walking trails, used by local hikers, dog-walkers, X-country =
skiers and naturalists. There is a huge, ugly open sand pit to the west, =
behind the property "Seven Bridges". As Andy Dean pointed out the other =
day, there is currently some earth moving equipment digging up the =
ground in 1 area in there, and the beautiful old oak tree that several =
people designated one of NS's important trees in a recent survey, has =
had a number of limbs chopped off to allow access.=20
>=20
> After a number of local enquiries I have learned that they are testing =
the sand in there to see if it is of enough commercial value to extract =
it (which would presumably mean chopping down the woods and digging =
another huge sand pit if it is). This is not within the Bird Sanctuary - =
it's on private land , and is posted "Private Property". The public are =
presumably allowed to use the area with their unwritten consent.
>=20
> I have little experience with dealing with this kind of issue, and =
furthermore I have a personal conflict of interest in that I do not wish =
to get on the wrong side of the land-owner, whom I know, for totally =
unrelated reasons. Also, I wouldn't want the land-owner to prevent =
access to the area because he is annoyed with environmentalists,  but =
..... is there any way for an environmental group, or the public, or =
whoever, to monitor this, and is there any way to preserve these woods =
and prevent them being turned into an environmentally disastrous =
sand-pit?
>=20
> Richard
> --=20
> #################
> Richard Stern,=20
> 317 Middle Dyke Rd.
> Port Williams, NS, Canada
> B0P 1T0
>=20
> sternrichard@gmail.com
05/25/10 15:26:00

--Apple-Mail-1-477723769

break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><div><div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal =
normal normal 18px/normal 'Times New Roman'; ">Dear All,</div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 18px/normal 'Times New =
Roman'; "><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal =
18px/normal 'Times New Roman'; ">I don't think it's a "legal activity" =
to allow even a small amount of oil to leak from ?construction equipment =
into a stream with a turtle population but this seems to have happened =
at Parmeter Wood sometime during the last few days.</div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 18px/normal 'Times New =
Roman'; min-height: 21px; "><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal =
normal normal 18px/normal 'Times New Roman'; ">It may well be perfectly =
legal to damage and probably kill oaks that are certainly older than =
Canada and probably older than the Province of Nova Scotia all for the =
sake of a few loads of sand, a common deposit in this part of Nova =
Scotia, but I can well understand the owners' wishes to remain =
anonymous.</div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal =
18px/normal 'Times New Roman'; min-height: 21px; "><br></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 18px/normal 'Times New =
Roman'; ">It is also difficult to see how sand could be trucked out =
without crossing a public footpath or disturbing the residents of an =
adjacent special care facility.</div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =