[NatureNS] Concern re: Palmeter Woods

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 13:42:54 -0300

normal normal 18px/normal 'Times New

--Boundary_(ID_3KbLTN2Yj8ZSziHBfX9Zvg)

Hi Bob & All,                May 29, 2010
    I have for many decades dreaded going back to favourite haunts; being almost certain to find instead a housing development, a clearcut, a gravel pit or my pioneered cross-country path replaced by a road to nowhere. So I know the feeling.

    But landowners have rights and when these are not respected one can expect a brisk market for 'Absolutely no Tresspassing' signs.

    As for the owners wishing to remain anonymous-- where did this notion originate ?

    When I asked for permission to park my car, in what was then Palmeter's country home parking lot, about 52 years ago, the owner of the land across the tracks was a Palmeter, as indicated by signs along the lines of "Palmeter's Campground' and 'Camping by Permit Only' with somebody Palmeter below. Some land to the west has been, and may still be, owned by a Harrington, who has over the years posted 'No Tree Cutting" signs, with his name on the sign.

    Land does sometimes get sold, people die and so fourth, but I have never had reason to suppose that the owners wish '...to remain anonymous'.

    One unfortunate aspect of esker scalping is that it may lead to extirpation of plants like Floerkea proserpinacoides (the colony in Coldbrook is no doubt at risk), that survive in seeps that exclude other ground cover, and it leads to unstable stream flow.  But as long as demand remains high, sand & gravel will be mined.

    On the positive side, clearcuts usually grow back quickly, and gravel pits can create habitat for sun-loving plants and amphibians. But it may be more than 5 decades before the sprawl of houses along roads to nowhere revert to forest.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville