Crane flies: was Re: [NatureNS] Moths - Paonias myops and others -

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 11:03:40 -0300

Hi Steve,            May 29, 2010
    I may be repeating myself re hardiness but can't find any previous
e-mail--

    Some crane flies are quite winter-hardy.

    Most of my firewood is stored outdoors either in the woodlot or in the
yard as tiers of wood cut to nominal 15" length, piled ~40" high with a
'roof' of  22" wide polyethylene on top held in place with one layer of
firewood. Over winter, the upper surface of this polyethylene is relatively
hostile, being not as buffered against temperature extremes as e.g. soil or
litter on soil.

    So when I noticed some cranefly larvae on top of a woodpile in North
Alton one December I was curious to see if they would develop and moved some
to a woodpile top in Kentville; excerpt of spreadsheet pasted below-- Adults
emerged sometime between June 5 and June 25.
START OF PASTE
Tipula (Platytipula ?) or (Nobilotipula ?)    25-Jun-02 Kentville Reared
from larvae that were moved from North Alton. Collected in North Alton, Dec
2001 from debris on polyethylene; kept outdoors; emerged after June 5, 2002;
pupal cases in vial; also leg in envelope; distal veins have a few
microtrichia.
END OF PASTE

    With regard to continuous culture, is larval development controlled by
temperature or day length ?

    I guess nothing beats the convenience of rodents (as my wife once
remarked  with great indignation 'animals shouldn't be used as Guinea
Pigs'). Why would it not be possible, given a range of temperature or light
conditions, to culture crane flies (e.g. larvae that live in water, debris
or sod)  so adults emerged year round ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville