[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 12:44:13 -0300

What a glorious day. 27 so far and it just noon. Ocean is breathtaking even
from a distance.
I had to make a flying trip to the vets in Bridgewater this morning and on
my return about 10:30 give or take a few minutes I saw the most amazing
thing. I noticed a swarm for want of a better word dropping down toward the
trees of  what I thought had to be big insects just as I was leaving Nova's
Vets parking lot. Then I realized it was hummingbirds! they were everwhere!
Years ago  (1983 actually) at Summerville twice to see large groups of
swallows arrive and land on everything, must have been thousands. It rained
swallows for some time....just magic; then the group that were blown back
after Rita, they died.
These today were hummingbirds. I have a number about the yard today. The
feeders are way down already and I just filled them. So look out if you
don't have a hummingbird or two yet, some you probably will shortly.
The Baltimore Oriole couple is still about and a cardinal in all his finery
was just here. I think he is holding up in the wood just across the #3 from
us.
Redwinged blackbirds (male and female)  are everywhere and there seems to be
a couple nests in the swamp. A harem possibly??
Today so far there are baby robins out and following Momma about as well as
at least one starling.......sparrows are peeping back to squeaks in the
border bed and I think there is going to be a hummingbird nest in the
Japanese quince beside my driveway!! I haven't ever found one here although
I know there have been many. I don't poke but watch.
Grackles are everywhere. The ravens have been and I know they are Ravens
because they came in and the big crows were already here. All were driven
away by grackles and red-wings.
Warblers are here, I have to look them up but blackburnian and yellow for
sure. A red-start was here for a couple days and may still be I haven't seen
it though. There is a cat bird, I can hear it, but haven't seen it. Steve
left a note there is a flycatcher and a woodpecker but he couldn't find
it........might be the yellow bellied I saw last week or the red bellied
might be back. There is what I think is an early Northern Flicker
young..........there is something different about it, smaller for one and
darker.......I simply haven't had time to get a good look. Was hopeful I was
getting a decent pair of binoculars in a week or two but that money just
went to the vet so maybe the summers end will see me getting them.
Other than that we have pretty much the usual but things are somewhat slower
for now.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca