[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:59:06 -0300

the computer has been down since last Thursday and in the shop for a few
days.
There has been a lot of chasing, posing and posturing about the property.
Grackles are still here in hordes, although I do think there are some moving
away now. Robins have nested all over the place picking up worms and grubs
and dropping off their packages of waste. I think they target my car!!.
Swallows are all confused again this year. We went with one house after all
the fighting over the other two last year. We have had a couple (maybe
different couples?) take things into the house, pulling  stuff out of the
house. Chickadees decided they liked the house only to be chased away by a
woodpecker then the swallows came back and seemed all set. Now, this am,
there are 7 out there circling the house and yard. The blackflies have hit
and are hitting hard. About 9:45 they started as I walked the yard with our
realtor, identifying nesting sites and plants various. Things are coming so
quickly. The Oriental poppies will bloom next week if we have a full day of
sun. Apple tree is opening as I write this. Rhubarb is sending up
flower/seed  stalks already and I am pushed to keep them cut off.
I see an occasional Blue Jay but not that many. We still have Mourning
Doves, Chickadees, Juncos, American Goldfinches, Purple Finches, male and
female, Sparrows: song, white throats (more then ever before) White-crowned
(3) Chipping (2) and several I am not sure of their id.. One Chipping was
gathering bits of long bits of thin dry grass, and disappearing under the
ground level boughs of the fir outside the livingroom window, only to have a
swallow swoop down and liberate it.  The swallows then decided to park their
grass on the flag pole top and the wind blew it all away.
This past Saturday we had at least two hummingbirds neither of which visited
the feeders or decided to stay. I haven't ever had a year when we didn't
have site being advertised all over the property by now, well in twenty
years. The location I saw them was where we used to put a feeder but due to
the structure being quite rotten and needing to be taken down, no feeder is
there now. Other feeders are in locations similar to the yearly ones.
I had a catbird sheltering here during the thunderstorms Sat.. It was the
first I have seen in awhile.
Brown headed cowbird male was here, no female at this time. Hairy and Downy
Woodpeckers, a Northern Flicker, and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker all in the
past couple days. There are a few warblers moving about the trees. I don't
know them as well as I should. Starling numbers are down and I hope they
stay that way. The Red-winged blackbirds are plentiful. There are males
females and undecideds.
Oh and I have seen what I am sure is a small brown bat. Three separate
events different days......Only thing is it is moving about in the late
afternoon, well before dusk.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.caD