[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:03:08 -0300

It was a spectacular morning but the cloud is moving in more heavily, the
sunny rays less easily enjoyed.
I had to run to town for a few thing and was scouting out a place across the
inlet from the mill, at the Marina Park in Brooklyn to try some painting.
There are geese and ducks in there that I was hoping might be still paddling
about with their young. It was pretty quiet with only a couple Cormorants as
well as a couple male Mallards, mostly with their bottoms up! out and about.
The tide was out and the mud flats were being checked over by a few gulls. I
was watching the mill equipment turn upside down a truck to get the chips
when I noticed a few swallows. I was just pondering what type they were when
more appeared and the neatest thing happened. (well I think it was neat) A
swallow swooped in front of my vehicle and down onto the mud flat and up it
came with a white feather which it seemed to loose control off almost
immediately, and as the feather wafted away (very little breeze) others
swooped in to try to capture it. It was almost as if they were playing with
it, when another feather and a third appeared and the trying to catch/steal
the feathers began in earnest. At one point there were 9 birds I could see
winging in and swooping away.  Suddenly it was all over and several birds
left trying to manage flying their awkward  prizes away.
Here on the property, we still have swallows either sitting on eggs or very
fresh hatches. The Grackles (oh my the grackle numbers are increasing daily
now) have tried as have the starlings to get the house contents but these
birds have been very protective so far. Lots of blackflies and other winged
thingies out and about so hopefully they will have plenty to eat this year.
With so many nests producing young all the squawking and cheeping is almost
deafening at times. Lovely to enjoy morning tea by.
Have a number of hummingbirds and lots of feather screams are happening.
Steve thinks I should wear his wood cutting head gear out there. I have
already been hit a couple times by birds intent on running someone else off.
Today I had what I think was a sparrow. Quite different. Very pretty, mainly
shades of pewtery gray, sort of a lacey pattern on wings, heavier, dark
beak, (not like a finch) clean buff underbody, just away from cream toward
white but with a very, very soft yellow,  lightly streaked down each side
over laid with light short gray/brown streaks. I get a flash of yellow
somewhere and oh the head was a different shape, rather blunt but not to the
point of some flat heads. It has an interesting call if it is the same bird
I have been starling when we come in and go out. I went out this am to see
could I see it and It does seem to be getting used to me being there so
maybe I can get a photo. I would like to know what this one is. It has been
here on and off since mid May I would say, or one like it.
Northern Flicker is digging away at the crack in the back platform and is
making headway. It seems to be pulling out small stones now so I may have to
fill it back in. The ants are everywhere so it should find plenty elsewhere.
Oh Sunday evening we had a window strike by a Northern Parula. What a
beautiful bird!!Poor little bird hit the window twice and headed down into
wet grass. I knew it would be predated very quickly so went and picked it
up, its eyes were responsive and then put it in on a bough of the fir tree
out front. It was able to sit although seemed somewhat stunned. It
eventually moved itself in a bit further and when the heavens opened and the
thunder rolled through, it was in further yet. By then it was pretty dark so
I can only hope it survived.
As I said earlier it is pretty quiet here right now, well in a matter of
speaking.....traffic wise; it is comparative I guess.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca