[NatureNS] Orange-crowned Warbler in L. Sackville

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:31:23 -0400
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_z0KCBVUeUlldZmRe0wO8iQ)

Hi Gayle,

I think that our warblers are lucky birds that we have had a relatively
mild winter.  But it is amazing that they can survive this far North,
even in a mild winter, with a bit of help, isn't it?

Susann Myers gave us the help with the wire feeding cage, and I see that
she has responded to your e-mail already.  You really should go and see
her huge cage in Halifax for her Orioles - it's amazing!  We have so far
made only a small one - 15" square, and the bottom has no wire, just
sits on the ground.  My husband made it before the snow came.  Then, as
the weather became worse, he added a wooden roof and 2 sides.  But the
warbler had already found his food before the roof and sides were added,
so he wasn't afraid to come to such an enclosed feeder.  We put a
plastic container of hot water with the mealworms on top, as I described
to you earlier, and another plastic lid with a selection of other foods
in it, inside the feeding cage.  We love to watch him hop around in the
bushes outside our kitchen window, getting closer and closer to his
cage, then dart in, grab a mealworm, and carry it outside to the bushes
to eat!

Lois Codling

On 01/03/2010 8:47 AM, Gayle MacLean wrote:
>   Hi Lois,
>
>   The OC Warbler here in Dartmouth has, also, fared well this winter. Definitely, a survivor, for sure! Is enjoyng the mealworms, twice daily. Am interested in the 'cage' you speak of. Could you give me an idea of it's construction, size, etc, especially in amongst branches, etc. There is so much competition with the Starlings, I sure am getting tired of losing mealworms to those creatures! The Warbler is travelling further during the day, as it now seems to be going to a back yard, a fair distance up the street on the opposite side. But always back here for breakfast and supper!
> Lost a fresh plum pudding overnight. The mesh bag that I put it in was completely empty, no rips, no tears&  nothing on the ground below. I'm unfortunately thinking a Norway Rat, as I can't think of anything else big enough to completely consume it.
>
> Gayle MacLean
> Dartmouth

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Hi Gayle,<br>
I think that our warblers are lucky birds that we have had a relatively
mild winter.&nbsp; But it is amazing that they can survive this far North,
even in a mild winter, with a bit of help, isn't it?<br>
Susann Myers gave us the help with the wire feeding cage, and I see
that she has responded to your e-mail already.&nbsp; You really should go
and see her huge cage in Halifax for her Orioles - it's amazing!&nbsp; We
have so far made only a small one - 15" square, and the bottom has no
wire, just sits on the ground.&nbsp; My husband made it before the snow
came.&nbsp; Then, as the weather became worse, he added a wooden roof and 2
sides.&nbsp; But the warbler had already found his food before the roof and
sides were added, so he wasn't afraid to come to such an enclosed
feeder.&nbsp; We put a plastic container of hot water with the mealworms on
top, as I described to you earlier, and another plastic lid with a
selection of other foods in it, inside the feeding cage.&nbsp; We love to
watch him hop around in the bushes outside our kitchen window, getting
closer and closer to his cage, then dart in, grab a mealworm, and carry
it outside to the bushes to eat!<br>
Lois Codling<br>
 The OC Warbler here in Dartmouth has, also, fared well this winter. Definitely, a survivor, for sure! Is enjoyng the mealworms, twice daily. Am interested in the 'cage' you speak of. Could you give me an idea of it's construction, size, etc, especially in amongst branches, etc. There is so much competition with the Starlings, I sure am getting tired of losing mealworms to those creatures! The Warbler is travelling further during the day, as it now seems to be going to a back yard, a fair distance up the street on the opposite side. But always back here for breakfast and supper!
Lost a fresh plum pudding overnight. The mesh bag that I put it in was completely empty, no rips, no tears &amp; nothing on the ground below. I'm unfortunately thinking a Norway Rat, as I can't think of anything else big enough to completely consume it.

Gayle MacLean
Dartmouth

completely stopped eating suet and grape jelly, and for the
past month has been eating up to 40 good-sized mealworms per
day (!) and hulled sunflower seeds.&nbsp; Mealworms are high
in fat and so are the sunflower seeds,&nbsp; so it appears
that the more of those he eats, the less other fats (and
sugars?) he needs.&nbsp; He still forages in the bushes
outside my kitchen windows, though I don't know exactly what
he is getting.&nbsp; He has survived snowstorms, windstorms
and rainstorms, and stays out of the way of the
Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks.&nbsp; I hope he continues
to do so!&nbsp; We are grateful to Suzanne Borkowski and
Susann Myers for their advice and help in warbler
care.&nbsp; The feeding cage has enabled us to feed the
mealworms to him and not to all the Starlings, Bluejays,
etc. which would like to get at them.

Lois Codling

    </pre>
  <pre wrap="">

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail.  Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca</pre>
  <pre wrap="">