[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:01:30 -0400

It seems to have gone very quiet here again with the warmer temperatures.
The day we awakened to snow we were swamped with Blue Jays, Mourning doves,
Starlings and Grackles as well as a couple Sparrows (song) and a steady
string of Chickadees. There was a Robin monitoring the yard but it didn't
come in close. Since, we have had a few of all the same but with long gaps
of nothing. There is a small hawk, a sharp shinned I believe, hunting and
being quite successful if the feather count is anything to go by. This
afternoon a crow was chasing one across the field and really working it
over. The big tree in the field down the road has been cut down so the crows
are all unsettled.
We have had a young fox dropping in to eat bird seed as well as chase after
some of the mourning doves. It isn't that good a hunter. We also have a
raccoon who like to snooze on the platform feeder in the grapevine after
she/he licks it all off.

I tried to get a couple photos last evening but it didn't happen even though
it was very co-operative and stayed a long time but I couldn't get at the
right angle to get a good shot. When I sneezed it decided it had better
leave.
How do I clean that off? it is rope and wood.

Today there were a few American Goldfinches moving about and then later in
the pm a group of birds flew into the Liverpool side Maple. I ran for the
binoculars but they flew away. I think they were Snow bunting. No
woodpeckers at all.

At Summerville the other day there were yellow rumped Warblers in the
Bayberries behind the old track bed near the trestle and the whispering of
what sounded like it could be song sparrows. There are some bayberries back
there but not that many. Rose hips are way down as well. Now down on the
road from Jordon ferry coming this way the mountain ash berries are so
plentiful it is all red. We didn't see many  around here. Our Hawthorns
bloomed but there isn't much fruit as we had no bees or whatever to
pollinate them.?
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca