[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:40:04 -0400

It is still quite quiet here in White Point. We have our resident Mourning
Doves and Blue Jays that come early and then show up en masse this time of
day. Two song sparrows and a white throat, a smattering of Chickadees and
occasionally we have starlings but thankfully not as often as we were afraid
of but we know they will be coming......soon.
Nut hatches have moved off again but I think are keeping an eye on things.
Steve put out the spruce trees around the front yard platform feeder and
Mourning Doves held a convention there immediately.
The crows  are still here 5 that travel together like guys strutting about
in morning suits. There is another, larger group that comes and goes but the
five hang relatively close all the day.
From time to time there is a northern Flicker visiting but today there was
at least a second one for sure. Totally different size and shape/colouring.
I had a quick visit from both a male Downy and a male Hairy Woodpecker this
week but with no cold weather I haven't put a seed cakes out yet. I hear
them in the trees so I know they are just waiting.
WE are considering sell the property here (nothing is definite so far) so I
wonder if we should slow down the feeding, stop it gradually or altogether
or what. If  new owners aren't birders will it cause problems?
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca