[NatureNS] Port George this morning

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:55:40 -0300

I had to go to Aylesford this morning to help my wife set up the school gym
for one of those "special days" that music teachers get stuck with. After
doing the preparation work I found myself with a couple of hours before the
big event was to start and nipped over to Port George. So, at least I
haven't lost the whole summer this year!

9:45 to 10:45 am - High tide, 13 degrees, sunny with a stiff wind, surf
breaking. The water was so clear that you could see every detail of the
seals, body surfing close to shore.

Northern Gannets were passing regularly and fishing as they went - I counted
32 for sure, it looked as if far more were passing by further out.
2 DC Cormorants
38 Surf Scoters
9 White wing Scoters
41 Common Eiders
2 Common Loons
4 Red Throated Loons
5 Harlequin Ducks - only one was obviously a male, the others seemed to be
immatures.

I wanted to stay longer but had to rush back to my chores.
John Belbin - Hantsport