[NatureNS] Port George this morning

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:40:26 -0400

A great morning at the coast for once, with very little wind and calm
waters, blue sky and good visibility. You could even wander about without
gloves for reasonable periods of time. Ebb tide with the reef just beginning
to show at 10:30 am.
Common Eider - 107
WW Scoters - 35
Surf Scoters - 31
Long tailed Ducks - 52
Common Loons - 5
Red Necked Grebes - 1
Black Guillemots - 3
Common Mergansers - 3
Red Breasted Mergansers - 2
Harlequin Ducks - 7 (4 males)
Seals - 2 grey, 3 Harbours and a great many noses!

A local gave me an excellent description of seeing 2 Gryfalcons in Paradise,
Annapolis County yesterday on a trip to his church. They attacked a group of
6 Pheasants, with one of the Gryfalcons managing a kill and eating the
pheasant while the church goers and the other falcon watched!

In the "Grass is always greener department", I just received the following
from my sister who lives in the New Forest of Southern England :-

"Our winter has been so mild. We have seen Red Admiral butterflies, bumble
bees and birds collecting nesting materials in the middle of February.
Having said that the frog and toad spawn are about the same time as last
year."
 And here I am chipping ice off the driveway!

John Belbin - Kingston