[NatureNS] Nova Scotia's nature and the federal election

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 17:35:56 -0300

--Apple-Mail-1--226978724

Hi folks,

I can echo the importance of Blake's message. We are at a point in =20
time where there are crucial environmental challenges - in both Canada =20=

and the world - that require immediate, clear-sighted, and far-=20
reaching action. The Conservative government has manifestly failed in =20=

in this regard. The Sierra Club of Canada recently gave the =20
Conservatives an F+ in its Climate Change Report Card:

=
http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/vote-canada/2008/voters-guide-climate-cr=
isis-election.pdf

Stephen Harper has stymied important initiatives on the environment =20
and climate change such as the Kyoto Protocol  and the Clean Air and =20
Climate Change Act. Harper announced a climate change plan with =20
"aspirational" emission reduction targets which will allow Canada=92s =20=

greenhouse gas emissions to continue to rise and undermined attempts =20
at a binding agreement on emission reduction targets at the =20
Commonwealth Summit in Uganda and the UN Climate Conference in =20
Indonesia.

Only 38% of the Canadian population support the Conservatives, while =20
62% of Canadians - almost 2/3 of the population, oppose their =20
policies. How is it then possible that the Conservatives might yet =20
again form the government? Vote for the Environment points out that, =20
under the present system of vote splitting, if the federal election =20
were held today the results would be: Conservative: 147, Liberal: 76, =20=

NDP: 34, Green: 0, Bloc: 49, Independent: 2 - another Conservative =20
minority government.

If Canadian were to "vote smart" (i.e. allocate votes to the =20
candidates best positioned to defeat the Conservatives), the seat =20
allocation would be: Conservative: 97, Liberal: 109, NDP: 46, Green: =20
1, Bloc: 53, Independent: 2. Vote for the Environment's superb =20
website, http://www.voteforenvironment.ca  helps make this possible by =20=

indicating, riding-by-riding across the country, which candidate is =20
best positioned to do so.

Almost 90,000 people have visited the site since it launched six days =20=

ago. Join them and help elect a government that devotes serious, =20
constructive, and progressive attention to our environment. As Blake =20
wrote, our environment and our society deserve our support.

Best wishes,

Christopher Majka
Halifax, NS
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

On 1-Oct-08, at 7:59 AM, Blake Maybank wrote:

> Hi All;
>
> I care deeply for the nature of Nova Scotia, and the environment of =20=

> the world.  Consequently, it is necessary to get political at =20
> times.   This is one of those times.
>
> I shudder at the thought of Harper achieving a majority government.  =20=

> The environment, our culture, and our society will suffer.  But how =20=

> can we make our anti-Harper votes count?   Fortunately, voting =20
> strategically is now much easier. Go to:
>
> www.voteforenvironment.com
>
> It is a remarkable website that is tracking every riding in the =20
> country, and making up-to-the-minute suggestions on how best to =20
> fight Harper.
>
> And afterwards, I urge you to contact your friends, family, =20
> colleagues, and everyone on your e-mail list, and let them know =20
> about this web site.  If we can affect the results in some key =20
> ridings, who knows what might happen?   Our environment and our =20
> society deserve our support.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Blake Maybank
> White's Lake, NS
> maybank@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-1--226978724

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
importance of Blake's message. We are at a point in time where there are =
crucial environmental challenges - in both Canada and the world - that =
require immediate, clear-sighted, and far-reaching action. The =
Conservative government has manifestly failed in in this =
regard.&nbsp;The Sierra Club of Canada&nbsp;recently gave the =
Conservatives an&nbsp;F+&nbsp;in its&nbsp;Climate Change Report =
href=3D"http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/vote-canada/2008/voters-guide-cl=
imate-crisis-election.pdf">http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/vote-canada/2=
Stephen Harper has stymied important initiatives on the environment and =
climate change such as&nbsp;the Kyoto Protocol =
&nbsp;and&nbsp;the&nbsp;Clean Air and Climate Change Act. Harper =
announced&nbsp;a climate change plan with "aspirational" emission =
reduction targets which will allow Canada=92s greenhouse gas emissions =
to continue to rise and undermined attempts at a binding&nbsp;agreement =
on&nbsp;emission reduction targets at the Commonwealth Summit in Uganda =
and the UN Climate Conference in =
support the Conservatives, while 62% of Canadians - almost 2/3 of the =
population, oppose their policies. How is it then possible that the =
Conservatives might yet again form the government?&nbsp;Vote for the =
Environment&nbsp;points out that, under the present system of vote =
splitting, if the federal&nbsp;election&nbsp;were held today the results =
would be:&nbsp;Conservative: 147, Liberal: 76, NDP: 34, Green: 0, Bloc: =
49,&nbsp;Independent: 2&nbsp;- another Conservative minority =
smart" (i.e. allocate votes to the candidates best positioned to defeat =
the Conservatives), the seat allocation would be:&nbsp;Conservative: 97, =
Liberal: 109, NDP: 46, Green: 1, Bloc: 53,&nbsp;Independent: =
2.&nbsp;Vote for the Environment's superb website,&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.voteforenvironment.ca">http://www.voteforenvironment.ca=
</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;helps make this possible by indicating, riding-by-riding =
across the country, which candidate is best positioned to do =
since it launched six days ago. Join them and help elect a government =
that devotes serious, constructive, and progressive attention to our =
environment. As Blake wrote, our environment and our society deserve our =
support.&nbsp;</div>&l