[NatureNS] Nova Scotia's nature and the federal election

Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 19:41:46 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

support.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/div&gt;&l
Hi All,                Oct 1, 2008
    The October 2008 Issue of Canadian Geographic has an interesting
article on Norway and how they have prospered since a carbon tax was
introduced 16 (yes, sixteen) years ago. Large oil royalties no doubt helped.

    Politics is usually about choosing the lesser of evils but the
carbon tax idea introduces a good option, because it will encourage
people to adapt to the future and thus avoid being clobbered by market
forces.

    E.g. a small privately owned company, LS9 Inc., has developed a way
to produce oil from carbon-rich waste at an anticipated cost of
$50/barrel. If this pans out, it will be the greatest energy advance
since the Carnot (sp?) Cycle. All done so far without a carbon tax but
how else can a tiny company take on Petrochemical giants and win ?
      A small private Canadian company (don't recall name) has for some
years had a pilot scale microbial procedure for producing ethanol from
any carbon rich material but had to go to Germany and the US to obtain
government funding to build a commercial scale plant (don't know how
this turned out and funding may have dried up).

    Plasco Energy Group Inc, another small privately held company, is
poised to turn Red Deer trash into electrical power.

    Somewhere recently I read that killing plant manure, a difficult
waste disposal problem, has taken a new shine as a potential source of
methane (for energy production) and the idea is again emerging that even
relatively small livestock operations can exploit methane to save on
energy costs.

    Any Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazine from ~1978 sounds
contemporary; same approaches, older technology. And when the
petrochemical industry felt threatened they increased production enough
to put these alternative energy companies out of business.

    Without the shelter provided by a carbon tax there is a danger that
the mistakes of 40 years ago will be repeated and all these positive
developments, for the environment (and countless others), will end up
bankrupt.

Yt, DW