[NatureNS] Re: Dead spruce trees

Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:45:14 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi All,                Oct 1, 2008
    Contrary to rumors spread by professional Entomologists for
generations, and others who don't know much about trees, I doubt very
much that even one conifer tree has ever been killed by bark beetles.
They move in and finish the job when trees are under stress and these
beetles are able to do so because the resin ducts, normally filled and
under pressure in healthy trees, do not exude appreciable resin when
severed, provided the tree is stressed (higher water tensions, less
photosynthate, less root/soil contact...).

    The Annapolis Valley, being the tailpipe of Eastern North America,
has experienced appreciable Spruce and Fir dieback for 15 (perhaps 20)
years. The initial stress here was likely low-level Ozone and acid-rain
(for want of any other likely culprits) but tree death became especially
widespread here during those dry years that also gave the BSLB inroads
in Point Pleasant park. The Task Force of course blamed the BSLB, duh
and we know how that turned out. Those BSLB, that 'attact apparently
healthy trees', didn't move much after the dry spell ended until Juan
gave them a swath of damaged trees along which they could readily spread.

    Welcome to the future and I continue to pray for $7.00/ litre
gasoline (it used to be $5.00 but one must allow for inflation) or at
least more use of wind power, .hydrogen and battery-powered vehicles.

    The connection between tree health and beetle activity is most
readily seen by cutting a healthy White Pine or Spruce tree during warm
weather (or vigorous Spruce branches 1-2" in diameter and trimming them
to reduce rate of water loss); tree severed from stump being the extreme
case of ill health. Sometimes within hours, and always within days, bark
beetles (Scolytinae) will arrive, soon to be followed by predaceous
Checkered Beetles (Cleridae). For example, on May 7, 2007 I cut a large
crooked White Pine that was good only for short planks, ashes and insect
fodder and ripped a few slabs off; crooked but entirely healthy and free
of insect borings or activity. When I was next out on May 9, there were
four species of Bark Beetle (2 Ips species, Dendroctonus valens and
Hylurgops rugipennis), two of these abundant, and numerous Thanasimus
dubius (Cleridae).

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville