[NatureNS] Red Tide?? Interesting Walk on Carter's Beach at Night

From: "Gloria Gilbert" <turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:37:53 -0300

font-family:Arial'&gt;Cheer

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C8F648.0F103DE0

Responding to Cindy's musings...

When I was a kid, we called the sparkly bits at the water's edge =
"phosphoresence"... probably a misnomer, but it's descriptive.

The calls of willets have been a constant sound here in Osborne Harbour =
up until last week... they are noticeably absent now.

Shorebirds are not dumb. They will stay around if their favorite foods =
are in good supply. I have also wondered why piping plovers do not nest =
around Port Mouton Bay. The beaches provide extensive good habitat, and =
human traffic is light, especially in early spring when they arrive. =
Later in the fall there will be small mixed flocks of migrants on =
Carter's Beach, but nothing like the numbers that feed and rest at Louis =
Head, for example.

There is serious concern that salmon aquaculture has altered the natural =
populations in Port Mouton Bay. Nutrient loading from farm waste, algae =
blooms and unknown contributions of drugs and chemicals over 13 years =
have without doubt made an impact on the marine ecosystem. It is =
difficult to prove a cause and effect relationship, but you can bet that =
the birds have a clear reason for going somewhere else. "Red Tide" is a =
result of nutrient loading... if you catch my drift.

For more on this subject see:

http://www.friendsofportmoutonbay.ca/

Gloria

  ----- Original Message -----=20