[NatureNS] Reptile and Amphibian movements

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:23:57 -0300
From: Joanne Cook <jocook@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

In addition to the nutrients added by the birds, remember that the
Gardens staff use a variety of fertilizers. I suspect there is
substantial run-off into the Pond.

I suspect many of you already know that Griffin's Pond in the Gardens
is the last aboveground remnant of Freshwater Brook (sometimes called
River) which used to run down from around the Oxford-Windsor area
west of the North Commons (where I live) to enter the Harbour
somewhere around the foot of Barrington/Inglis, before the Harbour
shored was infilled.

Halifax Water is carrying out a major rebuild and separate of the
sewer system carrying Freshwater Brook - you can read about it here:

http://www.halifax.ca/hrwc/documents/Freshwater_feature_FINAL.pdf

(which was a supplement in the Herald back in May). Page 2 and 3 have
interesting bits of the history of the Brook and its burial.

It wasn't all buried, though, because it reappears in my cellar after
every heavy rain -- sometimes there are advantages to dirt floor
cellars. The water comes up ... the water goes away ...

cheers,
Joanne

On 4-Aug-08, at 14:58 PM, Laviolette, Lance (EXP) wrote:

> David Webster wrote:
>
>> On a related note, I walked past the pond that is in the
>> Halifax Public Gardens recently and noticed that it was green
>> and almost opaque with microscopic algal growth. I didn't
>> notice any agricultural activities nearby.
>
> David,
>
> That would depend on whether one could classify the public feeding of
> ducks and gulls and their (the ducks and gulls not the public)
> subsequent defecation as 'an agricultural activity' wouldn't it? The
> 'growing of poultry' seems to fit the 'bill' in this case.
>
> All the best,
>
> Lance

Joanne Cook
jocook@hfx.eastlink.ca
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

* Do not meddle with the Forces of Nature, for you are small,
insignificant, and biodegradable. *