[NatureNS] Birds Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 19:28:19 +0000

--_b4699e5a-809a-4db8-aeab-d7eea650789b_

I started the day off leading an outing for the KCC (Kingsburg Coastal Cons=
ervancy.)  We were to bird Conrad's Island in Lower Rose Bay and then out t=
o Gaff Point.  After an hour we got rained out.  Heavy thunder moved in and=
 then heavy rain. =20
=20
Afterwards=2C I went on a brief pre scout of the route for the NSBS outing =
tomorrow that I lead.  There were nice pockets of birds at a number of loca=
tions.  At my favourite spot for this time of year=2C along the Fauxburg Ra=
il Trail outside of Mahone Bay=2C there were:
=20
Veery 2
Song Sparrow 2
Gray Catbird 2
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Common Yellowthroat 1
Herring Gull 1
American Redstart 4
Black-capped chickadee 16
Ovenbird 1
Black & White Warbler 7
American Robin 2
Magnolia Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped warbler 2
Eastern Wood pewee 1
Northern Parula 2
Black-throated Green warbler 1
Downy woodpecker 1=20
American Goldfinch 1
(heard cedar waxwings)
Purple Finch (bad shape see previous email)
These birds were all together except for the purple finch and the gull of c=
ourse.
=20
A red-eyed vireo that could barely fly and constantly begging with the adul=
t was a nice treat to see.
=20
Mahone Bay near Mush-A-Mush River
=20
Common Mergansers 9
Herring Gull 2
=20
Song Sparrow 5
Yellow-rumped warbler 1
Northern Parula 3
Black-capped chickadee 18
American robin 1
Magnolia warbler 1
Black & White Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided warbler 3
Ruby-throated hummingbird 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
american redstart 1
Other species as well=2C but not with the group.
=20
Most warblers seen today were in fall plumage.
=20
Long Hill
=20
American Robin 1
Black & White warbler 2
Black-capped chickadee 7
Red-breasted nuthatch 2
Yellow-rumped warbler 3
red-eyed vireo 5
Canada Warbler 1
Black-throated green warbler 2
American Redstart 1
Northern parula 1
Blackpoll warbler 3
White-throated sparrow 1
veery 1
=20
Anyhow=2C this give some idea of the groupings of birds that are now moving=
 together here.  There are pockets here and there.  Of course things might =
change by tomorrow=2C with birds we never know.  I also was at these locati=
ons later in the day then I am normally there during the field trip.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave

--_b4699e5a-809a-4db8-aeab-d7eea650789b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I started the day off leading an outing for the KCC (Kingsburg Coastal Cons=
ervancy.)&nbsp=3B We were to bird Conrad's Island in Lower Rose Bay and the=
n out to Gaff Point.&nbsp=3B After an hour we got rained out.&nbsp=3B Heavy=
 thunder moved in and then heavy rain.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Afterwards=2C I went on a brief pre scout of the route for the NSBS outing =
tomorrow that I lead.&nbsp=3B There were nice pockets of birds at a number =
of locations.&nbsp=3B At my favourite spot for this time of year=2C along t=
he Fauxburg Rail Trail outside of Mahone Bay=2C there were:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Veery 2<BR>
Song Sparrow 2<BR>
Gray Catbird 2<BR>
Red-eyed Vireo 2<BR>
Common Yellowthroat 1<BR>
Herring Gull 1<BR>
American Redstart 4<BR>
Black-capped chickadee 16<BR>
Ovenbird 1<BR>
Black &amp=3B White Warbler 7<BR>
American Robin 2<BR>
Magnolia Warbler 1<BR>
Yellow-rumped warbler 2<BR>
Eastern Wood pewee 1<BR>
Northern Parula 2<BR>
Black-throated Green warbler 1<BR>
Downy woodpecker 1 <BR>
American Goldfinch 1<BR>
(heard cedar waxwings)<BR>
Purple Finch (bad shape see previous email)<BR>
These birds were all together except for the purple finch and the gull of c=
ourse.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A red-eyed vireo that could barely fly and constantly begging with the adul=
t was a nice treat to see.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Mahone Bay near Mush-A-Mush River<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Common Mergansers 9<BR>
Herring Gull 2<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Song Sparrow 5<BR>
Yellow-rumped warbler 1<BR>
Northern Parula 3<BR>
Black-capped chickadee 18<BR>
American robin 1<BR>
Magnolia warbler 1<BR>
Black &amp=3B White Warbler 1<BR>
Chestnut-sided warbler 3<BR>
Ruby-throated hummingbird 1<BR>
Common Yellowthroat 1<BR>
Red-eyed Vireo 1<BR>
american redstart 1<BR>
Other species as well=2C but not with the group.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Most warblers seen today were in fall plumage.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Long Hill<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
American Robin 1<BR>
Black &amp=3B White warbler 2<BR>
Black-capped chickadee 7<BR>
Red-breasted nuthatch 2<BR>
Yellow-rumped warbler 3<BR>
red-eyed vireo 5<BR>
Canada Warbler 1<BR>
Black-throated green warbler 2<BR>
American Redstart 1<BR>
Northern parula 1<BR>
Blackpoll warbler 3<BR>
White-throated sparrow 1<BR>
veery 1<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Anyhow=2C this give some idea of the groupings of birds that are now moving=
 together here.&nbsp=3B There are pockets here and there.&nbsp=3B Of course=
 things might change by tomorrow=2C with birds we never know.&nbsp=3B I als=
o was at these locations later in the day then I am normally there during t=
he field trip.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_b4699e5a-809a-4db8-aeab-d7eea650789b_--