[NatureNS] Purple Finch Deaths

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 19:14:41 +0000

--_8762cd90-f905-4ebe-9af9-a7f78af702b5_

Hi all:
=20
I do not remember seeing anything online about the die off of purple finche=
s in the maritimes.  A number of weeks back I received an email on such fro=
m a friend in DNR.  Anyhow=2C finches have been sent to the a patholgy lab.=
  One finch from PEI was emaciated from starvation.  Others are diagnosed w=
ith trichomoniasis.   Birds were reported from a campground in NB that were=
 meaciated=2C and several had underying disease problems.    DNR are encour=
aging submissions from or investigation of any purple finch mortalities tha=
t occur.
=20
I've since had an email from a reportee in Whynott's Settlement who has a p=
urple finch with a badly encrusted eye.  I saw one today=2C which I suspect=
 is not long for this earth.  It was an awful sight.  the bird came flying =
out of the bushes along the Fauxburg Trail just outside of Mahone Bay and a=
lmost hit me.  It had one eye only.  The other eye was encrusted and was a =
vacant hole with fluid only.  The head of the bird was in very hard shape a=
nd the bird was not healthy looking at all.  It kept rubbing it's eye and h=
ead on branches.  It was a very eerie experience and the first time I've wi=
tnessed this.  Anyhow=2C I'll put a posting on about more exciting bird eve=
nts as a separate thing.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave=20
Try Chicktionary=2C a game that tests how many words you can form from the =
letters given. Find this and more puzzles at Live Search Games!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/207=

--_8762cd90-f905-4ebe-9af9-a7f78af702b5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I do not remember seeing anything online about the die off of purple finche=
s in the maritimes.&nbsp=3B A number of weeks back I received an email on s=
uch from a friend in DNR.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C finches have been sent to the a=
 patholgy lab.&nbsp=3B One finch from PEI was emaciated from starvation.&nb=
sp=3B Others are diagnosed with trichomoniasis.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Birds were =
reported from a campground in NB that were meaciated=2C and several had und=
erying disease problems.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B DNR are encouraging submis=
sions from or investigation of any purple finch mortalities that occur.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I've since had an email from a reportee in Whynott's Settlement who has a p=
urple finch with a badly encrusted eye.&nbsp=3B I saw one today=2C which I =
suspect is not long for this earth.&nbsp=3B It was an awful sight.&nbsp=3B =
the bird came flying out of the bushes along the Fauxburg Trail just outsid=
e of Mahone Bay and almost hit me.&nbsp=3B It had one eye only.&nbsp=3B The=
 other eye was encrusted and was a vacant hole with fluid only.&nbsp=3B&nbs=
p=3BThe head of the bird was in very hard shape and the bird was not health=
y looking at all.&nbsp=3B It kept rubbing it's eye and head on branches.&nb=
sp=3B It was a very eerie experience and the first&nbsp=3Btime I've witness=
ed this.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C I'll put a posting on about more exciting bird e=
vents as a separate thing.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave&nbsp=3B<BR><br /><hr /> </body=

--_8762cd90-f905-4ebe-9af9-a7f78af702b5_--