[NatureNS] ticks

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:44:58 -0300

I recently had to remove a good size, embedded tick from a dog and
decided to dab it with alcohol, not the drinking kind, first. It came off
pretty easy after that. Usualy with the dogs we just pull them off with
tweezer like things and there are no side effects.
I have heard that there are many ticks around this year but (cross my
fingers) only have seen two dogs with them. I work with dogs so that is
why I mention this.
I'll stick to the pulling method. By the way an allergic reaction to a tick
results in the same bulls eye reddnes of Lyme tick disease if one is
sensitve at all to them. I ended up in emergency a day or two after pulling
a tick off my leg. I did it too fast and got a reaction. But I got the classic
sign of the disease. Infectious Diseases checked me out. I was also lucky
to have an Emergency Room doctor who at least had seen Lyme disease
symptoms. At that time no one in the province had contracted the
disease from a tick bite here.
Heather D., Halifax