[NatureNS] Yellow pollen in lakes

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:07:24 -0300

--Apple-Mail-53--354356311
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hi everyone:

We had over two hours of continuous thunderstorm roll north of us on
Saturday. (That would have been the ones RIchard reported driving
through. We only got a few bursts of heavy rain...).  A bit late the
same thing happened south of is in the Vaughan area.

I went atalssing there this morning and all of the lakes had long
broad "spills" of bright yellow pollen. Some of these were several
metres wide and aver 200 metres long. They looked as though someone had
gone by in a boat and was dumping out yellow paint as they went. Falls
Lake, and Mockingee Lake were affected. Someone I know was at a lake
just west of there (North Canoe Lake) and it had the same thing. She
also had photos of some of the hail that had fallen there on Saturday.
The hail ranged from the size of dimes to the size of nickels.

I'm guessing that it must have been blown into the lake, as the rain
should have just brought it to the ground where I would have thought it
would just stay put. Has anyone seen this before, or know what tree
would make that much pollen?

Pat

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-53--354356311

[...]