[NatureNS] Yellow pollen in lakes

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:18:56 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-3--339264455
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

In my experience I have commonly seen this phenomenon during the
first half of June and I would suggest that the source is the
staminate cones of pine, especially from Eastern White Pine.

Since the1980's, until about 2004, I would spend a week or part of a
week sometime during the first half  of June at Sherbrooke Lake
associated with school groups experiencing nature and the out-of-
doors in the camp setting.  Some years, particularly in June, we
would experience deposits of pollen dust all along the  the lake
shore at the camp end of the lake (the camp was at the northwest end
of the lake.   There was one cove where we would find darkening,
yellow-brown cakes or mats of pollen dust, stranded by dropping water
levels. It could have an unpleasant odor from decomposing in the warm
sun.

I had concluded that the source was mostly from Eastern White Pine.
During the first half of June the clusters of staminate (male) cones
on White Pine are loaded with large amounts of the pollen dust, ready
for the wind and water to carry it off.   White Pine appears to be a
very common tree associated with lake country in the interior of
southwestern Nova Scotia, certainly this was true all around
Sherbrooke Lake.

My suggestion,
   Sherman

Sherman Williams
shermw@xcountry.tv

On 22/06/2008, at 8:07 PM, Patrick Kelly wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> We had over two hours of continuous thunderstorm roll north of us
> on Saturday. (That would have been the ones RIchard reported
> driving through. We only got a few bursts of heavy rain...).  A bit
> late the same thing happened south of is in the Vaughan area.
>
> I went atalssing there this morning and all of the lakes had long
> broad "spills" of bright yellow pollen. Some of these were several
> metres wide and aver 200 metres long. They looked as though someone
> had gone by in a boat and was dumping out yellow paint as they
> went. Falls Lake, and Mockingee Lake were affected. Someone I know
> was at a lake just west of there (North Canoe Lake) and it had the
> same thing. She also had photos of some of the hail that had fallen
> there on Saturday. The hail ranged from the size of dimes to the
> size of nickels.
>
> I'm guessing that it must have been blown into the lake, as the
> rain should have just brought it to the ground where I would have
> thought it would just stay put. Has anyone seen this before, or
> know what tree would make that much pollen?
>
> Pat

> ====
> Patrick Kelly
> Director of Computer Facilities
> ====
> Faculty of Architecture and Planning
> Dalhousie University
> ====
> PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
> Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
> Canada                                 Canada
> ====
> Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-
> mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
> ====

--Apple-Mail-3--339264455

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div>In my experience I have =
commonly seen this phenomenon during the first half of June and I would =
suggest that the source is the staminate cones of pine, especially from =
Eastern White Pine.</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div>Since the1980's, until about =
2004, I would spend a week or part of a week sometime during the first =
half =A0of June at Sherbrooke Lake associated with school groups =
experiencing nature and the out-of-doors in the camp setting. =A0Some =
years, particularly in June, we would experience deposits of pollen dust =
all along the =A0the lake shore at the camp end of the lake (the camp =
was at the northwest end of the lake. =A0 There was one cove where we =
would find darkening, yellow-brown cakes or mats of pollen dust, =
stranded by dropping water levels. It could have an unpleasant odor from =
decomposing in the warm sun. =A0<div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>I had concluded that the =
source was mostly from Eastern White Pine. During the first half of June =
the clusters of staminate (male) cones on White Pine are loaded with =
large amounts of the pollen dust, ready for the wind and water to carry =
it off. =A0 White Pine appears to be a very common tree associated with =
lake country in the interior of =A0southwestern Nova Scotia, certainly =
this was true all around Sherbrooke Lake.</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>My =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><div>Sherman =
Williams</div><div><a =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></div><br =
22/06/2008, at 8:07 PM, Patrick Kelly wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: =
12.0px Helvetica">Hi everyone:</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: =
normal normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; =
"><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">We had over two hours of =