[NatureNS] For the insect experts

Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 18:00:56 -0300
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

-web
At 04:11 PM 6/8/2008, you wrote:
>  This interesting little moth was sampling lilac
>nectar in my yard yesterday evening. It's about 2 cm
>long. I don't know very much about insects, but it
>looks like one of the hawk moths to me. I didn't know
>there were any in Nova Scotia. ID, anyone?
><http://www.flickr.com/photos/26123378@N03/2561987980/in/set-72157605505595647/>
>  Kathleen MacAulay
>  Milford Station

It's a Snowberry Clearwing, Hemaris diffinis, Kathleen. The bright
yellow on the body and the abdomen, with the two black "tufts" at the
"tail" end, and the obviously quite clear wings (with the apparent
"flash" of red wingtips and bases) rule out H. thysbe and H. gracilis, I think.

Phil

--

Dr. Phil Schappert

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS Canada, B3P 1J3
Home: 902-404-5679
Cell: 902-460-8343

www.philschappert.com
www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                             Michael Hedges