[NatureNS] New life bird and an agitated least(?) flycather

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:05:03 -0300

--Apple-Mail-327-583385554
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hu everyone:

I spent over four hours atlassing the the Vaughan square (On Highway 14
south of Windsor). I even managed some nice views of a new life bird
for me, an olive-sided flycatcher! The Stokes is right. It does sound
like "Quick! Three beers." I came across a second one later in the day.
I also almost stepped on, a female ruffed grouse and her brood. The
little ones scattered and she lured me away. I was wondering the other
day how people managed to get FY from birds like that! LOL

This square had 52 species in the first atlas and I'm up to 47 so far.
Still not a single duck, or a wood-peewee. I haven't heard a peewee so
far this summer... and that is quite unusual for me. I have been in the
right type of woods on quite a few occasions....

I did  have one bird which may be a least flycatcher. I had seen one
(that was quite cooperative) in one area a week ago and was hoping to
bump it up to on territory. This is semi-mature softwood with a brook
running through it.  A lot of birch and the occasional tall softwood.
There was a bird about the right size in the same area, but it was
agitated, and would only make "chirp" calls. It also refused to sit
still. There was another, larger bird, doing the same thing but I could
not see what it was.

It did sit still long enough for me to get two quick pictures. I have
put them into a single image at:

http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/Least.jpg

The only reason I'm not 100% sure it is a least, is that when I did
catch it in binos, the overall appearance that I got was more of a
brown than a gray, but they pictures seen to look like a least, at
least to me. As usual, any help is greatly appreciated.

Pat

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-327-583385554

[...]