[NatureNS] Great Egret

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:06:47 -0300

I rushed out as soon as I saw Sherman's email this morning. The Great Egret
has now moved and is feeding on the north side of the road. It stays close
to the edges of the area bordering the stream but appears to be feeding
reasonably well.  It goes to hide as soon as you take an obvious interest in
it and with patchy snow it is surprising hard to find through a camera
viewfinder. You can park in the area next to the sewer pumping station. I
walked a short distance onto the edge of the Haliburton orchards and managed
to get several photos, However, they won't be wonderful because of the rain,
wind and generally poor lighting this morning. The farmer came to talk to me
and told me that the bird had been feeding for some time in the south area
but had just moved across the road. He said that he sees them there
occasionally but never at this time of year. They usually show up after a
hurricane or very major storm - maybe this one qualifies as a big storm. If
so, keep your eyes open.

John Belbin -
Hantsport