[NatureNS] Great Egret

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Rare Alert <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 19:26:28 +0000

--_cef56940-4dc6-464a-9340-daa79b29635a_

I got lucky with the great egret this time around.  Upon arrival at the mar=
sh area at Conrad's Island, Rose Bay I observed a duck hunter on the island=
.  Perfectly legal.  I looked to my left and below the main road just befor=
e where the new house is to be built on the saltmarsh, was the egret.  It l=
ooked very miserable.  Shortly after a hunter shot at some ducks, very clos=
e to the egret.  Not legal distance from residences by my reconing and one =
of those hunters who gives others a bad name.  He especially was  not legal=
 distance from where the new house is being built and where workers were.  =
He also was shooting into the air in the direction of the houses.  This was=
 on the inside of the beach area and across towards the road on the other s=
ide, which is not far across from that point.  Anyhow, I believe that some =
shorebirds were also shot at which flew when teal flew in.  Needlessly to s=
ay the egret disappeared and I have no idea where it went to. =20
=20
Of note shorebirds present which I managed to see before the shooting began=
 were five black-bellied plovers, two greater yellowlegs, a lesser yellowle=
gs and a willet.  There might have been a second willet, but this bird veer=
ed off before I could get an id on it.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
R U Ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5? Try it today!
http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.ca/WindowsLiveMessenger=

--_cef56940-4dc6-464a-9340-daa79b29635a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I got lucky with the great egret this time around.&nbsp; Upon arrival at th=
e marsh area at Conrad's Island, Rose Bay I observed a duck hunter on the i=
sland.&nbsp; Perfectly legal.&nbsp; I looked to my left and below the main =
road just before where the new house is to be built on the saltmarsh, was t=
he egret.&nbsp; It looked very miserable.&nbsp; Shortly after a hunter shot=
 at some ducks, very close to the egret.&nbsp; Not legal distance from resi=
dences by my reconing and one of those hunters who gives others a bad name.=
&nbsp; He especially was&nbsp; not legal distance from where the new house =
is being built and where workers were.&nbsp; He also was shooting into the =
air in the direction of the houses.&nbsp; This was on the inside of the bea=
ch area and across towards the road on the other side, which is not far acr=
oss from that point.&nbsp; Anyhow, I believe that some shorebirds were also=
 shot at which flew when&nbsp;teal flew in.&nbsp; Needlessly to say the egr=
et disappeared and I have no idea where it went to.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Of note shorebirds present which I managed to see before the shooting began=
 were five black-bellied plovers, two greater yellowlegs, a lesser yellowle=
gs and a willet.&nbsp; There might have been a second willet, but this bird=
 veered off before I could get an id on it.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />R U Ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5? =
et=3D'_new'>Try it today!</a></body>

--_cef56940-4dc6-464a-9340-daa79b29635a_--