[NatureNS] Great Egret

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@Dal.Ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:36:23 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-19--849082782
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hello everyone:

I went to see the egret at 3:00 PM. It was back in the brook on the
south side of the road. Twice I saw it stab at something and once it
did a "swallowing" motion, so it must have gotten something!

Here are three pictures, that sort of shows the lay of the land. The
first was where the bird was when we first got there. I took a series
of pictures as it looked like it might have continued to the right and
gone out of sight behind a small hill.

No sooner had put my camera down when in flew back towards the road
where I got some more pictures These are  two pictures taken while it
went hunting across a small pond.

http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/GreatEgret1.jpg
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/GreatEgret2.jpg
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/GreatEgret3.jpg

It is not all that often that I get a new life bird so close to home!

Pat

On Mar 9, 2008, at 12:06 PM, john belbin wrote:

> I rushed out as soon as I saw Sherman's email this morning. The Great
> Egret
> has now moved and is feeding on the north side of the road. It stays
> close
> to the edges of the area bordering the stream but appears to be feeding
> reasonably well.  It goes to hide as soon as you take an obvious
> interest in
> it and with patchy snow it is surprising hard to find through a camera
> viewfinder. You can park in the area next to the sewer pumping
> station. I
> walked a short distance onto the edge of the Haliburton orchards and
> managed
> to get several photos, However, they won't be wonderful because of the
> rain,
> wind and generally poor lighting this morning. The farmer came to talk
> to me
> and told me that the bird had been feeding for some time in the south
> area
> but had just moved across the road. He said that he sees them there
> occasionally but never at this time of year. They usually show up
> after a
> hurricane or very major storm - maybe this one qualifies as a big
> storm. If
> so, keep your eyes open.
>
> John Belbin -
> Hantsport

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-19--849082782

[...]

<excerpt>I rushed out as soon as I saw Sherman's email this morning.
[...]

</fontfamily>

--Apple-Mail-19--849082782--