[NatureNS] Pepper in the bird seed?

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:40:09 -0400
From: "Ronald Arsenault" <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_11835_15180958.1201138809576

Hello David and All:

To add to the discussion:

You wrote;

>    Dried, ground Cayenne pepper would be a convenient source of
> Capsaicin

Capsaicin represents various alkaloid compounds called capsaicinoids. The
"heat" of peppers is measured in Scoville Units, where 1 ppm capsiacinoids =
1.5 Scoville units.
[No heat (0-700 Scoville heat units), mildly pungent (700-3,000), moderately
pungent (3,000-25,000), highly pungent (25,000-70,000), and very highly
pungent (>80,000).]

(the active ingredient of Capsicum). Cayenne pepper, so I
> understand, is derived from African Pepper (Capsicum fastigiatum); or
> was ca 1915 when my Materia Medica was written.

There are five Capsicum species grown commercially, with C. annum making up
the bulk of the production.  More recent taxonomic changes appear to have
reduced this number to three species. Capsicum fastigiatum is considered a
synonym of Capsicum frutescens (Tabasco pepper), which now (apparently) has
been lumped with C. annum.  These plants are of native to Central and South
America, not Africa.

   So far as I know, Capsaicin is not present in black pepper (Piper
> nigrum).

Correct. The major flavour contributing compound in Black Pepper is
Piperine, with a minor contribution from Charisine, Piperidine and
Piperittine.  It is interesting to note that both Black Pepper (unripe
berries) and White Pepper (ripe berries) are derived from the same plant.

All the best,

Ron A.
Memramcook, N.B.

Yt, DW, Kentville