[NatureNS] Sibley on redpolls

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:30:53 -0400

--Apple-Mail-1--467645298
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hi all,

Anyone interested in a visual key for distinguishing hoaries vs
commons might want to check out Dave Sibley's page at:

http://sibleyguides.blogspot.com/2008/01/character-index-for-
redpoll.html

It's not by any means the last word*, but it's handy to see it in
pictures.

Cheers,
Andy Horn
Halifax

*For instance, though Sibley seems to me to be on the more liberal
side of calling birds hoaries (maybe too much, judging from photos
elsewhere on his page), the one bird I had at my feeder (for 5
minutes, 2 weeks ago) that I'd call a no-brainer exilipes (a male
(beautifully rosy) with pure undertail coverts, few thin streaks,
very frosty back with wide white margins, very white head with small
patches, very stubby bill set in tufts), would score as barely hoary
or borderline on his scoring system.

All the more reason for submitting good group photos from as many
feeders as possible, as per Ian's earlier post.
--Apple-Mail-1--467645298

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi all,<DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Anyone interested in a =
visual key for distinguishing hoaries vs commons might want to check out =
Dave Sibley's page at:</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><A =
href=3D"http://sibleyguides.blogspot.com/2008/01/character-index-for-redpo=
ll.html">http://sibleyguides.blogspot.com/2008/01/character-index-for-redp=
oll.html</A></DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>It's not by any means the =
last word*, but it's handy to see it in pictures.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Cheers,</DIV><DIV>Andy =
Horn</DIV><DIV>Halifax</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><SPAN =
class=3D"Apple-style-span">*For instance, though Sibley seems to me to =
be on the more liberal side of calling birds hoaries (maybe too much, =
judging from photos elsewhere on his page), the one bird I had at my =
feeder (for 5 minutes, 2 weeks ago) that I'd call a no-brainer =
<I>exilipes</I> (a male (beautifully rosy) with pure undertail coverts, =
few thin streaks, very frosty back with wide white margins, very white =
head with small patches, very stubby bill set in tufts), would score as =
barely hoary or borderline on his scoring system.</SPAN></DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>All the more reason for =
submitting good group photos from as many feeders as possible, as per =
Ian's earlier post.</DIV></BODY></HTML>=

--Apple-Mail-1--467645298--