[NatureNS] Comet Holmes

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:31:01 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  &lt;DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"&gt;----- Original Message ----- &

--Apple-Mail-14--713986984
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

NIGHTWATCH by Terence Dickinson is an excellent resource (would be
very practical and useful). Terence has first handl experience with
backyard astronomy and has a good feel for relating it to others just
getting into "backyard asronomy".  Also, I would recommend  SkyNews
(Terence Dickinson, editor), a Canadian amateur astronomy magazine
published every two months. It can be found on some store magazine
racks. Don't confuse it with Sky and Telescope which is USA, it is
also more expensive and would be a bit overwhelming for the beginner.

I've been looking at Comet Holmes this evening.  It is certainly a
large fuzzy ball. It fits in the same field of view with Aplha Persei
and the bright star group associated with it. Altogether it makes a
very special binocular view (I'm using 10X 50 binoculars).  I suggest
that the comet has dimmed slightly, now very close in brightness to
Delta Persei, magnitude 3 (the lower star in the triangle).

The comet has increased its diameter again from 2 nights ago. When I
timed how long it took to cross its diameter in my telescope field it
taking between 115 to 117 seconds which makes its angular diameter
between 16 and 17 minutes of arc.  Tonight it is taking about 133
seconds which works out to about 21 minutes of arc in angular
diameter.  The Full Moon is about 30 minutes of arc (a half degree)
in angular diameter.

Sherman

Sherman Williams
shermw@xcountry.tv