[NatureNS] longhorn malaise

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:18:54 -0300
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca

Dear Angus:  imagine a large miniskirt on a pole with a sort of
inverted plastic
pitcher plant collecting pot stuck in the top -- the bugs fly under the skirt,
climb up inside it, get into the pot and can't get out.  A vial under the pot
lid could contain a killing agent, but I keep them alive by using moist
Kleenex.   Examine twice daily.

The name realistically conjures up the dismal feelings of anticipated
unfulfillment when approaching the trap each day, hoping for a specific
species
capture that will seldom materialize.  More likely it eponymizes (?) some
French collector who preferred extended lunches to vigorous butterfly
net work.
You get quite a lot of traffic on a fine day: most of my catches are Diptera
and Hymenoptera.  If you don't want to collect that day you just leave the top
off, and this gives the garden bugs lots of useful exercise climbing through.

If (unsurprisingly) the above doesn't give a clear visual pitcher, google to
www.bioquip.com
then go for the on-line catalog, 'M' in the index, to find pics of their two
Malaise traps on page 61.  Mine is the smaller symmetrical one on the
left.  It
is now quite old and was much cheaper when I bought it, than the price shown
now.

Bioquip (it's in California) seems to be the most comprehensive source of
field-collecting equipment for insects and the like in N. America -- I'd be
interested if anyone knows of serious competition in any equipment area.

Dave Webster also quizzed me months ago about these traps and was planning to
make one out of old umbrellas and bridal veil or some such, so we should wait
and see what he comes up with for his Mark I.  Dave???
  Steve