[NatureNS] Interesting Woodpecker interaction

From: "Marian Fulton & Art Harding" <fulton.harding@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 06:49:13 -0300

I have had juvenile woodpeckers coming to our bird pie feeder for about 3
weeks now.  The first week or two they could not figure out how to use the
feeder and the parents were feeding them.  The first couple of days they
would try to perch on a limb in a nearby tree; sometimes successfully
sometimes not quite so.  They would sometimes perch okay only to slip and
end up on the underside of the limb.  Watching them master the feeder kept
us entertained for many days; it is one of those wire mesh bottomed feeders
that has to be approached from the underside.

We also had chickadees and their four young go through this same learning
process.

Marian Fulton
Hantsport