[NatureNS] Interesting Woodpecker interaction

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:42:37 -0300
From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi Jim and all
Sibleys notes the juvenile red on the Crown or forehead and not on the back
of the head like an adult is there July- August. This is also true of Hairy
Woodpeckers and several western woodpecker species. I too have had a female
Downy feeding bird cake to juvenile birds at my feeder this week. I only
noticed this a couple of years ago and at the time saw that Sibleys had a
nice demonstration of the red foreheads.

cheers
Ken