[NatureNS] Interesting Woodpecker interaction

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:35:15 -0400
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Ken and JIm,

Just to clarify this. The red-tipped feathers that juvenile female Downy
and Hairy Woodpeckers can have on rare occasions are found on the
forehead. As Ken McKenna pointed out, they are replaced quickly (during
pre-basic moult) so very few individuals should have any left by
September. The presence of red feathers on the back of the head/nape is
a reliable method for determining that you are seeing a male.

All the best,

Lance
Lance Laviolette
lance.laviolette@lmco.com