[NatureNS] Bees & Their Food Sources

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:37:18 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Angus MacLean wrote:

> Since we are told that "clover" honey is the best tasting, from which
> clover species do Honey Bees harvest their pollen??
>
> Angus

Hi Angus & All,            July 14, 2007
    I have been wondering the same and have been waiting for a chance to
ask someone who keeps bees.

    But now that the question has been raised, according to some
material on the internet, the prize clover is Creeping White Clover
(Trifolium repens). Perhaps so, but the lawn has had patchs of White
Clover that bloom every year and so far as I am aware no Honey Bees
bother to visit. Perhaps there are too many more attractive other
flowers at that time of year. [BTW honey would be derived from nectar
not pollen.]

    This also could be a climatic interaction with T. repens being more
attractive in other regions.

    Or perhaps the real White Clover of honey fame is Sweet White
(Melilotus alba). Melilotus= honey lotus and I have over the years often
seen honey bees on this plant.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville