[NatureNS] Daphne

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:24:18 -0300

Thank you Jean for telling us why the French brought it
over. Interesting and much different then what I was just
guessing at. I thought maybe they used it as a spring
'cleaner outer'  (in small douses) for themseleves and the
animals.
I picked a twig of it the other day but keeping in mind the
deadly nature, I wore gloves, even while putting the branch
in a vase.
I did notice that the scent seems to be activated about 4
pm and on a very warm day. Time or heat sets it off.
Thank you again for the reason for the French to bring
it.That is the first explanation that I have heard.  Heather D.