[NatureNS] Daphne

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:24:13 -0300

	All parts of the Daphne (a laurel) are deadly, but the berries are the
most tempting to consume, of course. Itwas brought over by the Acadians
as a medicinal as its active ingredient is the same as that of Warfarin,
needed in thinning blood -very carefully! but they knew how to do it-to
prevent strokes, clots, etc.
	Grand Pre National Historic Site just down the road from us too
removed all their Daphne from their gardens because of its very poisonous
and libelous nature!  I handled freshly emerged leaves on spring while
trying to harvest a sample for the Acadia Herbarium, and my fingers went
tingly where I had touched it for a few minutes. For a few minutes I
wondered how much damage I had done. It wasn't that painful, but certainly
worisome for a few minutes.
	Pretty, but that does not make it safe, and I'd say it is best not to
have around except under professional survailance!  JET