[NatureNS] Daphne

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:46:47 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jean & All,                Apr 26, 2007
    It seems ironic that Daphne would have been removed from the Grand
Pre Park of all places. I can think offhand of seven Daphne locations
near Kentville and I have not noticed skeletons of man or beast near any
of them.

    According to the 1976 Merck index, both Daphnin (the active
principle in Mezereum; dried bark of several Daphne species including D.
mezereum) and Warfarin are related to Coumarin but so is Umbelliferone.

    The LD-50 of Coumarin in rats is 680 mg/kg but no toxicity is given
for either Daphnin or Warfarin (not even for rats !). Mezereum is
classed by Merck as a vesicant (blister producer). Coumarin is classed
as a Pharmaceutic aid (flavor); something to help the medicine go down.

    Umbelliferone is common in many plants including Daphne and is used
in sunscreen lotions and creams. So being somewhat similar to Coumarin
need not mean as toxic as Warfarin or toxic in the same way.

    I don't see anything to indicate that Daphnin or Mezereum has been
used as a blood thinner. My Blumgarten (1906 Materia Medica) refers to
external use as a liniment to produce redness and internally to treat
syphilis.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville