[NatureNS] more on the Sullivan's pond meeting

Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 11:53:20 -0300
From: David Hughes <davidhughes@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

This has become quite long, so I apologize in advance...

I attended the meeting on Wednesday evening on behalf on the NS Bird
Society. I think it is worth noting a few things up front. The first is that
the main driver of the planning seems to be some large paddling events
coming up in the next few years. The second is that this was not the first
meeting for the planning, but was actually a workshop where people divided
into groups and made pretty low level suggestions. I had been expecting more
of a public discussion with an opportunity for groups and individuals to
provide high-level input. Maybe that type of meeting had already take place
without us knowing about it. From what I could tell, almost everybody in the
room was a resident of the immediate area or someone involved in aquatic
sports. They all seemed to know each other.

The meeting started with some a brief presentation from the city and the
firm doing the planning. Apparently there is an advisory committee for the
project that has representative from interest groups. The fellow from the
city rattled off a list of people and who they represented. He didn't
mention anyone from the environmental/nature community. Someone (Jane?)
asked about this and he eventually said there was a representative, but he
had no idea who or what group they might represent (I know it isn't the Bird
Society). This was telling because it sounds like a small committee and he
knew everyone else quite well.

Then it was straight to work with seven groups looking at large aerial
photos and coming up with a grocery list of things that people were
interested in or concerned about. After an hour or so, a representative from
each group presented their priorities to the larger group.

I think improving water quality and protecting the "natural" areas was on
the list of every group as was improving the trails and infrastructure.
Overall, I was pleased with the results. People want the city to make sure
as much of the Banook shoreline as possible is protected from developers and
from overuse by the public. There is no desire to create a Dartmouth version
of the Public Gardens. Some things about getting ready for the paddling
events were quite specific and I got the sense they will be a priority.
Silvers Hill was also singled out by most groups because it is a viewing
spot for the paddling and other events. On the positive side, people wanted
any stands of trees on the hill to be protected.

It was obvious that the majority of the people did not like the "mess" made
by the ducks and a few would be happy to get rid of the ducks and gulls
altogether. For much of the evening, councilor Gloria McCluskey actually sat
right beside me and we had a chance to chat about the ducks, gulls and other
birds in the area. By the end of the evening, her position had changed from
rounding the all up to merely equipping them with diapers. Seriously, I
think some progress can be made if we focus on educating the municipal
politicians. She actually started to tell me about different birds like loon
and eagles that she had seen around Banook.

Also at my table was the fellow (Larry Bell) proposing the use of native
plants that either repel or attract ducks to help keep them away from the
large lawn area. That combined with controlling the feeding of the ducks
could go a long way toward cleaning up the mess. Gloria McCluskey said
council is working on an animal control bylaw that includes not feeding duck
at city parks. It is the same bylaw that contains the cat control rules. I
think it has been in the works since HRM was created so we may not see it
any time soon.

David