[NatureNS] Canoe Route

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:53:05 -0300
From: Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Paul, all others:

    Very interesting! I have done a little bit of research on the
historical canoe routes in N.S., largely by looking at old maps, but
have never come across the route through Big Indian Lake and Five Mile
Lake that you mentioned. But I have paddled up the dammed Indian River,
now a series of N.S. Power reservoirs, from St. Margaret's Bay right up
to the head of Big Indian Lake. But it's a long way from there to the
Bay of Fundy, through a largely lake-less landscape.

    The connection to the Bay of Fundy would likely have been through
Meander River or possibly Herbert River, via some substantial portages.
I've heard that it may be possible to canoe Meander River from as high
as Piggot Lake, i.e. the settlement of Lakelands on Hwy. #1.

    Of course, Hwy. #1 (Bedford to Windsor), supposedly the oldest road
in the province, is none other than the Piziqid Trail of  the Mi'kmaq
and of the Acadians, which started out as a canoe route going up
Sackville River and down to what is now Windsor. The precise location of
the key portages isn't known.

    There are maybe a dozen known ways to cross Nova Scotia, from tide
to tide, by canoe. Some are well-known and easy, such as the
Shubenacadie River - Dartmouth Lakes, others are difficult and
practically forgotten (e.g., East River of Pictou - westernmost branch
of St. Mary's River).  Our friends and neighbours in New Brunswick have
a great advantage in this respect, in that historian W.F. Ganong, of the
chocolate family, has mapped the disappearing canoe routes in his
province and published his maps in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Amen!

    Dusan Soudek