[NatureNS] Port George this morning

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:11:26 -0400

As I was away over the weekend, this morning was the first opportunity to
check the Fundy coast for whatever may have blown in during our recent
storms. I know it was late but you can always hope! Alas, if anything
unusual had come it had also gone before I got there at 9:15. However, there
was quite a reasonable number of the usual species present despite the super
cooled air and still rough waters. As partial compensation the air was very
clear and you could see Ille Haute and the other coasts in incredible
detail. About 2 hours after low tide, the air temperature was -12 and the
wind chill about -20, so trips out of the car were short and breathtaking.

The reef was still well exposed but no seals were resting on it, presumably
the wind chill was too much for even their tough hides. My list included:-
88 Common Eiders
32 White Winged Scoters
5 Black Scoters
7 Surf Scoters
21 Long Tailed Ducks - as usual it sounded like many more than that.
6 Red Throated Loons
7 Common Loons
1 Red necked Grebe
2 Red Breasted Mergansers
6 Harlequin Ducks of which 4 were males.
An immature Bald Eagle flew slowly down the beach and ensured that all the
Herring Gulls stayed out of sight or on the ground.

John Belbin - Kingston